title image

title image

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weekend shinannigans









It was definately a busy weekend! I was not so excited about the events of Friday night~ my 10 year class reunion. The reason I was less than thrilled about this event was because of the location. (that, and I didn't feel all too connected to my classmates) Despite my hesitations, I went anyway.. what's the hurt. A lot of times I'll feel this way on the front end, then later I will be glad I went.


We all met up at the FACS homecoming football game (which was fine), mingled, then headed over to a very classy ;) grille and bar called "The Fox and the Hound" When you hear that the locale of your class reuniont is at this location two things come to mind: 1. Everyone else does their reunion here- Be creative! 2. It's a bar.. there will be a lot of drinking and not so much mingling. Poo! Well.. I got there and sat with some friends and ordered some fries and was fine. I was one of two not drinking.. and that was well and good. It was great to see everyone. I enjoyed catching up and seeing what everyone is doing with themselves. It was somewhat sad to see the condidion of my classmates.. some were even still mean to the people they were mean to in High school. It was definately an enlightening experience.


Because I am a very social person and I can make the best of everything.. I ended up staying until about 12:30. I enjoyed seeing some old friends.. that's really all there was to it. It also made me thankful for the life that I live and that it's not all about drinking and being mean to the same people I was mean to in High School. (I would definately get the award for mingling with the most people)


Saturday I had to wake up earlier than I would have liked to and was thankful that my hair didn't smell like a cigarette butt from the night before. I had a productive day at Chessie's (my boutique job outside of the First Assembly Bubble) Saturday night was a night of hopping around the city of memphis. I left east Memphis for Cordova to change and freshen up. After that I headed to Germantown to say farewell to lovely Helen Morgan and her husband Brent. They are moving back to England. They will be missed. It was a wonderful gathering with all too much food (as always) and an inspiring word from Dr. Richard Gilbertson. He's a deacon at our church who is one of the top cancer researchers for St. Jude and one of the best in the world. He has meetings with the presidents and gives lectures at Harvard. YOu would never know it though.. he's as down to earth as they get.. with his pencil like body clad in Hollister and always offering a friendly hello and a hug. His wife is just as wonderful. Always the perfect hostess!


After the party I drove back to Cordova to meet my lovely friend Jennifer for a late night Tyler Perry movie. We headed 20 min. more to Collierville to watch the much anticipateed new Madea Movie "I can do bad all by myself" It was amazing!!!!


Funny story... Before the movie even started, Jennifer and I were talking happily about the events of our day and I was sharing about the sermon that I had just heard at the Life Church (a stop that I made after work- I forgot to mention.. amazing worship.. brought me to tears amazing speaker- Christine Caine from Hillsong- totally challenged me to step up my game) anyway.. I get excited when i talk about the Lord and definately may have been talking a little louder at that point- can't help it- when an african american brother (granted we were the only two white girls in the theater) turned around from two rows and several chairs over and in front of us and told us we were talking too loud. Mind you, we weren't interrupting anything. It was so rediculous that he was agitated with us that Jennifer was just smiling at him thinking he was joking. I must have stared very blankly at him because he had to repeat it a couple of times. Well.. normally I am very apoligetic, but not this time.. I just said "Ok." and slightly lowered my voice "anyway" Then I struggled with the rest of my story because his attitude and the way he had said it were very rude. I had to even say to Jennifer "let me recover after that for a minute." We both ended up moving far far away from this man because every time we laughed we were totally conciencious that we were being too loud for him. It totally killed our joy for about 10 minutes but we quickly got over it. Our crabby black man story has definately been a hit the past few days. =)


Sunday was another busy day.. homework.. a great nap..and a underwhelming choir concert. I am sooo looking forward to getting away for the weekend at Discipleship Walk. I cannot wait to see what God does in the lives of these women!

2 comments:

Jennifer Goodwin said...

I am still laughing over our crabby black man story. I had fun with you!!! We need to do it again. Love me some you~you will be missed this weekend, but I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Muah.

Rene' said...

"underwhelming" choir concert? Really? I didn't think so... I really want to see the Madea movie!