title image

title image

Monday, April 2, 2012

a weekend away

I learned some new things about my camera over the weekend thanks to my little brother and his girlfriend. It made me realize how little I actually know about my camera and kicked my butt to start reading my new field guide for the camera. I got some pictures of the weekend in Memphis with my family. Hopefully you will be able to tell a difference.

The weekend was wonderful. We stayed active so i'm super tired, but it was all worth it. Mom and I have been carefully planning something special for dad's 60th birthday for months now and it went so well. We had a 50's theme with several personal touches such as framed baby pics, his favorite music from growing up and a slideshow that my brother put together with pics of his life. I promise to get pics. up soon. Mom bought a lamp post for her gift to dad. You see, dad is a hug fan of C.S. Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia" and the lamp post is a pretty stand out part of the series. Little did we know that dad was stressing over installing it so, on Saturday morning, my wonderful husband volunteered to help him install it in the backyard. It meant so much to me that Jason just jumped right in with enthusiasm and got it done! It became a project that all three of the guys: Dad, Jason, and Jonathan could work on together. It warmed my heart. I got tons of pics by the way...

The whole weekend felt that way. I felt that Jason is becoming more and more of a part of our family. I love how dad genuinely enjoys spending time with him and doing things together. It's just so wonderful. I am filled with an even deeper love for my man. Even how he interacted with the people at my home church (for 28 years).. it's like he's known them forever. He's so open to these people he barely knows.. Oh my goodness it means so so much. It does something super special for my soul.

Anyway.. We took a 3.5 mile hike on Saturday- dad's choice. I really enjoyed walking with the family and snapping pics. along the way of course. It got a little hot for the sun drenched portion, but besides that, it was wonderful. =) The day ended with grilling out steaks (Jason did an amazing job) and eating a feast on the patio.

Presents went over well. Jason made dad a cedar box where he could display the rocks that he dearly loves to collect or grow a bonsai.. whatever he wants. We even burned our names and a birthday message into the wood. Jason really enjoyed making it. For the night portion of dad's birthdy, we watched the newest Muppet Movie which is an instant classic. All of us (mainly Jason) were singing the songs and quoting the lines all weekend. Jason does a mean kermit impression by the way. We pigged out some more with peanut butter shakes, popcorn, and pretzels. Wow.. I was about to pop!

Sunday was church and then more pigging out with mom's homemade lasagna. We even had our friend Joy over for lunch. We sat around a visited for a bit and then Jason and I headed out a little early so we could go and meet up with my friend Jennifer and her lovely family at one of their lacrosse games. I had never seen a  lacrosse game.. it was interesting. It was sooo wonderful to spend a little time with Jennifer and her family. She is one of those effortless friends.. like a sister.. we just get each other and are comfortable enough, like family, that we can just BE and all is well.  I heart them mucho. We, once again, stuffed our faces at Baskin Robbins after the game (I got to indulge in my lifelong fav.- Pink Bubble Gum- Yummmm!! ) and then we headed back on our 5 hour drive to Springfield. Jason and I switched turns driving. We had a good drive.. we called our amazing friend and mentor, Jackie, had an icee and taco bell stop and enjoyed each others company. At one point, i was leaning over on his shoulder and I just felt this amazing rush of love and appreciation for my man. A moment I will never forget. I definately treasured it in my heart. Isn't God good?

I'm pretty tired today but yeah, it was definately worth it.

2 comments:

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend...I'm so glad y'all had such a nice visit. Don't you love those little moments??? I have them more and more...it'll hit me from nowhere. Todd is like that with my fam...he is so quick to jump in and lend a hand to whoever needs it. We are among the blessed! Our hubbies are definitely keepers. :)

I already miss you...but am excited for June! :) Love you! To the moon and back.

Christa said...

We are blessed indeed. =) I can't wait to post the pics. I meant to get more with your family, but I think I may have been pictured out at that point.

I miss you and love you too!! June can't come any sooner!!