title image

title image

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

leaving a legacy



Today I want to honor my grandparents.. Leroy and Ruth Wiley. Over the weekend (Sunday) the church that my grandfather attends and serves in, honored them for 60 years of ministry in the Assemblies of God and grandpa's retirement. (for the second time). Grandpa, like mom, has a hard time slowing down and it took twice for him to retire.  For all of his adult life, grandpa has been pastoring mostly smaller churches across the great state of Pennsylvania. He and grandma landed in Chambersburg, PA. in a church that has done so much to honor them over the years. It is here that grandpa has served as visitation/benevolence pastor.  The church even built them a very nice home to live in. They have given honor to whom honor is due. I was not able to go to their special service on Sunday, but mom went, along with all of her siblings (8 others to be exact). During the service,  multiple testimonies were shared, telling of  how  grandma and grandpa have touched their lives. There was a representative from the district who also spoke. The church  made them a nice memory quilt of all the churches they've served and took them to a nice lunch afterwards. My grandparents loved touching people's lives in the name of Jesus. They served with humility. They were genuine and loved the Lord and his service. They gave up so much in the name of Jesus and of his service. There was a price to pay, but they paid it without wavering.  What a legacy. I am  blessed to be a part of their family and to have this as my heritage. I am so proud of my grandparents and strive to leave the same legacy for my children and their children.

No comments: