title image

title image

Thursday, December 8, 2011

black friday- the experience

I love this time of year! I can’t get enough of the sights, the sounds, the smells.. I love coming up with gifts for family and friends.. and picking out that very special gift for that very special person. This year I went the extra mile for my husband.. I stood in line on Black Friday for a special midnight door buster. That’s right.. I stood in the cold for an hour and a half so I could buy Jason a Play Station 3 for half price. It was quite the experience.. let me tell ya. Apparently PS3’s were in high demand this year because just about every store had it for this same price. We tried Wal-Mart first (they opened the earliest at 9:00 pm) except the store was completely disorganized and little did I know, that you had to have a ticket to get one and by the time we got there.. all the tickets were gone. You know when one of the members of management complains that they are disorganized, then you’re in for it!! On our way out, one of the managers pleaded with everyone to stay calm and respect other customers. WOW! There’s your sign, it’s time to GO! There were reports of fighting over mixers and people diving into bins of towels so my choice to bring my teeny mother seemed to be the poor choice. When we reached the registers, a woman standing in line recognized us but we didn’t recognize her. (we were in Chicago) We figured she goes to grandpa’s church. Anyway.. we told her that we had struck out and she saved the day by telling us of three other places that had the same deal. Two (Target and Game Stop) were in the same shopping center, so we decided to head over there. Did I mention we got lost on our way over?! Haha!! We ended up driving in circles until we got directions from a nice EMS worker and mom’s GPS FINALLY started working properly.



This is actually the line at Target, it was stretching down the sidewalk in front of the line I was lucky to be waiting in instead.



When we finally got to the shopping center, Target had a line out the door about a block long and Game Stop had 4 people waiting..I picked the obvious choice. Before I made my decision to wait in the cold, I asked the people already waiting what they were out to buy. I was not about to wait in line for an hour and a half in the cold only to walk away empty handed. Only one of them were there for the PS3 so I knew I was safe. Mom decided it was too cold, so I waited in line while mom sat in the car. She even called for backup. I was not prepared to wait in the cold (I thought Wal-Mart would be a breeze- HA!!) Dad arrived about 30 minutes into the wait with blankets and a hat. – Bless him!! He hung out for a little while and chatted with me and mom. It is much better waiting when you have a buddy. Finally, about 15 minutes before midnight, a game stop employee came out and took our names and what we were waiting on. He then proceeded to give us numbered tickets and informed us that our merchandise would be behind the counter- VICTORY! So the moral of the story is: Wear warm clothes on Black Friday and have a Plan B… maybe even a C, D, and F. If it weren’t for the lady in Wal-Mart that we didn’t know.. I would probably have nothing.




I can’t wait to see the look on Jason’s face! =)

No comments: